Volcanoes National Park - Skip the Petroglyphs
We began our first full day on the island in search of a bathroom.
I drink way too much water in the morning.
And fyi, the gas stations and McDonalds DO NOT have public restrooms.
Thanks to Siri we found this guy.
Phew.
And I may have taken this little guy home with me, if I weren't thousands of miles from home.
The landscape on this island is so interesting.
Honestly, quite a bit of it didn't feel very tropical.
But it was fascinating to see all the evidence of volcanoes.
Although none were erupting while we were there.
Kev, in all his research, found the best malasadas here...
They were, in fact, the best malasadas we've eaten.
Especially those two with frosting.
Black sand beaches were on my "to do" list.
This one was beautiful!!
The sand wasn't sticky like brown sand and it was so pretty.
We continued on to Volcanoes National Park.
Hiked some trails.
Smelled some sulphur.
Saw some volcanoes...
Hank (whose real name is Dave, I think) from gypsyguide was our constant companion with all his fun facts and recommendations.
We love Hank.
I also love these dried goji berries Megan gave me for my birthday.
We came across a sign for petroglyphs while exploring the park.
Kev was intrigued.
Becky, not so much.
But because Kevin's book has a chapter or two about petroglyphs, he had to check them out.
We walked the .7 miles in the heat.
(Weirdly, almost every place we explored was .7 miles)
And that was about it.
We weren't all that impressed.
We walked another .7 miles back to the car, wishing we'd skipped the petroglyphs since Kev about had a heat stroke.
Saw a cool lava rock sea arch.
And right after I questioned, out loud, what God's point was in creating whales and dolphins, we saw several whales.
It was the highlight of my day.
And I apologized to God for questioning His creations.
Took a walk through a lava tube...
It was very cool.
Finished the night with $70 worth of burgers.
They were good, but over priced, so we'd skip those too.















