Sister Gracie Beck's Weekly Update - I Got Reassigned

Happy Late Thanksgiving! Truthfully I didn't know it was Thanksgiving until Thursday morning, but I was really sick and turkey here is about the grossest thing you've ever tasted so I wasn't super jazzed about the holiday anyway. We watched a livestream of Elder Rasband's devotional at the provo mtc- it was so fun to see all my friends in the provo mtc throughout the meeting! Each time one of them popped up on the screen I felt like I was spotting a celebrity.


This week was an emotional rollercoaster😅 I've had my visa/vaccines taken care of for months, I have my flight plans for Chile...So you can imagine my surprise when I found out saturday afternoon that I'd been temporarily reassigned !! I was at lunch with the girls in my district when I got the message: 

New Assignment: OKLAHOMA, OKLAHOMA CITY - ENGLISH SPEAKING

I immediately burst into (happy) tears because THAT'S MY DAD'S MISSION!!!! My poor companions had no idea what was going on, and I was too emotional/shocked to answer their questions for a minute. They told me after the fact that they thought for sure I had been "Dear John"ed (or "Querido Juan" as they called it) 💀 that made me laugh. I was so dang excited. to speak english too! After the excitement came denial. I thought, "there's just no way that out of all the missions in the US, I get to go to my dad's."

...I was right. Someone, somewhere, had lost my FBI documents for Chile, but then they found them. I'm not going to Oklahoma.

If you feel like you just got whiplash from that sequence of events, join the club. I would have LOVED to serve in my dad's mission for a little bit. But I'm still super excited to head to Chile in a few days! I'd like to share a few more stories from this week:

- we have a running joke In my district that "hermana Beck's spanish goes to bed at 8pm" because about that time I get tired and can't speak or understand spanish to save my life. This got me into a pickle the other night when i was getting ready for bed and one of my companions asked me if I knew about "la psicologia de letras" and I had no idea what she was talking about, so naturally I said "claro que si" (of course!) ... next thing I know im being handed a handwritten love letter she'd received from her boyfriend and being asked to decipher what his penmanship says about his character🤡 I was in too deep. I launched into some made-up story about how the way he "dots his I's" and "spaces his paragraphs" means he's sincere and has good intentions with their relationship
...i'm definitely gonna have to answer to God for that lie, but she seemed satisfied by my nonsense🤷‍♀️

- a girl in my district shared her baptism story with us one night and it BLEW my mind. Her dad was the bishop the year she turned 8, but right before her birthday he got wrongly accused of a crime and was sent to jail. Their ward family believed he was innocent, so once a week his councilors would go visit him for bishopbric meetings and members would visit him when they needed help/guidance- he continued to run that ward while he was in jail for NINE MONTHS🤯 aaand at some point in those nine months the sister in my district felt she needed to be baptized right away, rather than waiting for her dad's release. So she was baptized in the jail pool and he was released from prison a month later. Wild. I can just hear my dad's voice saying, "you're telling me not even getting sent to JAIL can save me from my church meetings??"

- I got a serious case of the flu on wednesday and I was pretty sure I was gonna die. Somehow it took me all day to find an elder that could give me a blessing- and when I decided my situation was dire enough to head to the clinic, the doctor didnt even let me talk before she said "it's cold outside so I'm going home. Whatever it is, figure it out yourself."  She was way more mean than that but ill spare you, just know it was weird. That night my best/most comfy/most expensive mission shoes got ruined in a big rainstorm💔 there's no rain in Antofagasta so I thought I'd be safe with suede. I was wrong.

Spanish funny this week:
- My companions told me that the same way americans just add "o" to the end of every word when they want to speak spanish but dont know how, latinas always add "ation" to the end of every word when they're pretending to speak English. When I was sick as a dog on Wednesday and Thursday they kept asking me if I was going to "do a vomitation." It makes me laugh every time. 
 
Sorry about the broken link to photos last week, hopefully it works this week because I included a video of my dad opening his mission call to OKC!! The pretty girl next to him is my mama:)














Popular Posts