Spring Break - Travel & Palmyra
This trip was a long one.
10 days.
It began March 22nd when Papa Dave picked us up VERY early so we could make our 5:30am flight.
We boarded our favorite airline and were off for Rochester, New York.
We had a layover in Chicago.
Next to the layover a few years ago in Phoenix when we got to hang out with the Arizona Becks, this was my favorite layover.
Gracie and I attended the non-denominational service given by Pastor Dave.
It was so good.
I felt the Spirit of Christ as soon as I walked into the room.
Pastor Dave read from Matthew 11:28-30 about the Lord inviting all to come unto Jesus and He will give you rest. He's very, very good at that.
After the service we went to the Yoga room and that was awesome.
Got our stretch on before boarding the flight that took us to New York.
We stopped for dinner at a place Kev read great reviews about.
They had a garbage plate everyone raved about.
The building was very scary, you'd never guess there was a restaurant inside
We finally got to the hotel in time to go to bed.
Lilly was very happy she didn't have to share.
We began exploring Palmyra first thing the next morning and WOW.
Palmyra is beautiful.
Everywhere you look, rolling hills, beautiful farmland, homes with so much character.
It's straight out of a movie.
The Palmyra Temple was closed so we couldn't do baptisms, so we walked around the grounds.
Kevin wore his favorite coat.
He's had it over 10 years.
It tore last year, so he fixed it.
We loved touring the Smith Family Farm.
As we walked the path to the sacred grove we saw this view of the Palmyra temple...
We were told by some that we should wait and go in the summer or fall, but even in Winter it was beautiful and because everyone goes in the summer and fall we often had the missionary guides all to ourselves.
Even with no leaves, the sacred grove, where God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith, was beautiful.
I love the back story to this event.
Joseph was so confused as to which church he should join, with so many religions in the area.
He was reading in James 1:5 "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
(As a side note, I wonder what this world would be like if all of us skipped the internet and took our questions directly to God.)
As he read, he knew that was what he needed to do. He needed to pray asking God which church to join.
So he went to these woods by his house to pray in faith.
This was such an important question that God Himself and His Son came to Joseph in person to answer him.
The answer wasn't what Joseph expected, as he was told none of the church's were true and not to join any of them.
Eventually the Lord restored his church to the earth through His prophet, Joseph Smith.
The story is incredible.
Some would say, unbelievable.
But as I've studied the life of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon he translated. I know he was a prophet and that this incredible, unbelievable story is true and I can't wait to meet Joseph one day and thank him for sacrificing his life for Jesus Christ and His church.
We had the grove all to ourselves, so we split up and walked around, enjoying the peacefulness of it all.
After, we went to the Hill Cumorah, where the golden plates (The Book of Mormon before it was translated) were hidden.
Another unbelievable story involving an angel and tools from God given to Joseph to be able to translate a book written by ancient prophets.
I have studied The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, since I was 15.
That book has blessed my life in countless ways. I know it's true and I am so grateful for all the guidance it's given me and for the way it has helped me find Christ in my daily living.
"If ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you by the power of the Holy Ghost."
We traveled a few miles to see the Whitmer Farm where Joseph did some of the translating.
The Whitmer's were among those who sacrificed to help Joseph.
I loved this statue in the visitor's center.
Especially the inscription at the bottom.
"I Am" is one of my favorite names of Christ because I share that name with Him.
I love teaching my seminary kids about how we share His name.
We had burgers at this little diner before heading back to the hotel.


