51 Years of Marriage
December 16th was my parents 51st wedding anniversary.
Megan took us to dinner to celebrate.
Some might wonder if it would be a hard day for my mom, but she said it was a great day.
She loved thinking about my dad throughout the day and remembering so many good times together.
When she tells us she wakes up every day and chooses to be happy and grateful, she's not kidding.
And she was especially happy that her dinner did not taste like covid.
She's been in the "everything tastes like covid" stage for a while.
Megan knows of my love for the coffee flavor.
I've never actually had a cup of coffee, but I'm sure I'd love it.
She brought me a little early birthday treat.
They are incredibly good.
I made the mistake of showing the server the email with my free birthday appetizer.
Next thing I know he brings out the saddle.
It was quite the internal struggle.
I did not want to sit on that thing.
But I also did not want to be a Debbie Downer.
So I sat, and pretended to be amused.
I wasn't.
Thanks to Meg we have so many great pictures of my parents...
Here's something about Papa Tom you probably don't know.
When we were growing up, he did not like to go on vacation.
We went to Disneyland twice and Jackson Hole once while I was growing up.
He worked so hard at his day job, and then had his own business on the side so blowing thousands of dollars in just a few days was frustrating for him.
He did however, love the idea of investing in a family cabin. He and his siblings built it when I was 8 and that was our main vacation. We'd go up every 6 weeks or so and we all have the best cabin memories.
As my dad got older and the grandkids started coming, he began to embrace the vacation and he never missed an opportunity to take a trip.
We have some pretty great memories tripping with Papa Tom and Mama Jan.
So grateful to have been raised by such great parents.
We all really miss that one on the right.

