Christmas in July - Sister Beck's Weekly Update


Hola Hola!! 
How are you? What's new?

On Tuesday we went knocking in Wekiva with our friend Kehaulani to help her get some practice in before her own mish. It was raining so hard. Like harder than anything I've ever described previously, but I was determined to do it anyway. It was a lot of fun and we got to know more of the YSA! But towards the end of the night the storm got worse and worse and as we were driving all the lights in the car gradually turned on and then off without us doing anything 😳 I'm not a scientist but the only explanation I could come up with was that the electricity from the lightning caused that.. then suddenly all the street lights started flashing, and went out. So we pulled over and said a prayer and as soon as I said amen the street lights flipped on and the rain let up a little bit so we could drive. Such a cool experience. The storm felt super similar to a winter storm so I turned on some Christmas music because that's what I do. The storm, though a little scary, was really amazing and being with my friends singing Christmas music was pure happiness! I was just feeling overall grateful for the greatness of God. I see Him in storms. Maybe it's weird. Maybe it\"s cheesy. But its true :)

We went hard this week, and let me tell you, it's been rewarding. Our days were as filled as they could be and so were the tender mercies. I mentioned the Christmas storm but there was also incredible sunsets the next few days! Then we met the most amazing old man named John who can do more chin ups at 86 than me at 19. Then we met a really awesome girl named Maddie at a cafe who basically taught US how to be better disciples of Christ.
Along with all the work and all the blessings came a lot of tiredness. I was falling asleep everywhere. Some highlights were: at the dinner table with my quesadilla, during my nightly prayers I'd pass out mid prayer, which I'd say is pretty standard but my angel of a comp doesn't interfere so I'm there for a WHILE. And then on my scriptures which were stuck to my face when I woke up. I take feasting on the word to a whole new level 😇

Addressing the elephant in the room... and by elephant I mean Paris :)
Maybe you were wondering or maybe you weren't, but I'm gonna give you the inside scoop on what it's like being a reassigned missionary. Let me start by stating the obvious: Yes, I haven't been out that long. No, I haven't heard anything about France. And no, I haven't been told that I'm permanently reassigned to Florida. I'm aware of all those things but none the less this still is not my "original" assignment and I know for me, I always wanted to know how reassigned missionaries felt. So I'll tell you and maybe I'll update ya over time if things change:) 
Being a missionary is nothing like I thought it would be. And being reassigned is nothing like I thought it would be either. I thought that maybe I'd feel antsy and anxious 24/7 to get to France. I thought I'd maybe feel some bad feelings towards Florida for "replacing" what "should have been". But I don't feel any of that, in fact every day I see why I was sent here. I see that this transition was probably easier for me to handle than going straight to another country. I see blessings on blessings in being able to teach in English. I've been able to immerse myself in the doctrine. I know so much more about this gospel now than I think I would've going straight to a foreign country (I imagine I'd be trying to focus mostly on the language rather than the deep specifics of the gospel). 
Most importantly I know that God does not make mistakes. He didn't accidentally or randomly send me to Florida. He knew this is where I needed to be right now. To meet those who I have met and who I will meet. To learn. To grow and to adjust. 
Florida may not have been my original assignment, but it is my perfect assignment. 
So as one reassigned missionary, I can confidently tell you all that it truthfully is not about where you are called. I know it can feel that way sometimes and I do find myself wondering about Paris every once in a while, but I am thankful everyday to be in Florida. 
A missionary of Jesus Christ is a missionary of Jesus Christ no matter where they are. There's no rating system based on where you serve or what language you're called to speak in. We're called to bring the gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. :)
This TedTalk I just gave you all was brought on because we were at the ward barbecue talking to an older sister and I explained to her the whole Spanish in Paris thing (people LOVE that by the way hehe) and the conversation moved on and then randomly she turns to me again and says: "You're going to make it. You're going to get there" and even though it was comforting to hear, the next thought I had was "But if not, I will be okay". 
So who knows what the future holds but you can know, whether you wondered or not;) that I am happy and this is where I'm supposed to be right now :) 

On Sunday we had the best meetings! We go to church for like 4+ hours with the YSA and Lake Emma ward and everything was so good! I felt the spirit so strong.
Daniel passed the sacrament for the first time! It is seriously the best to have a front row seat to someone's conversion. 

Man, this week was a good one. I am thankful. 

Love you all 🤍

- Hermana Beck

📷 !
- knocking🚪in the 🌧
- JOHN the legend
- Maddie @ the Cafe
- Sunsets on sunsets. ¡increíble!
- I love Kehaulani :)
- deer (for some reason I always feel obligated to take pictures of the animals... and even more obligated to show you guys as if you\"ve never seen deer, idk what it is and I'm probably not going to stop:D)
- me at our keyboard making diss tracks










Popular Posts