Scarred But Okay - Sister Beck's Weekly Update

Hola!! 
I hope you're all doing good. I had a weird week. Let's get into it.

First of all, it rains so hard here. The saying "it's raining cats and dogs" all of a sudden makes sense to me because the size of the rain drops here are actually equivalent to baby cats and dogs. They're huge. They could knock you out if you're not careful. Don't even get me started on the thunder. I'm pretty sure one of these days its going to rip open the sky. You feel it in your chest when it thunders. Its awesome.. and terrifying. It reminds me of the Uintas. Its like clockwork. Every single day there's always rain storms at 3. People tell me it's like that for the whole summer.

Wednesday we did a pass along lesson. So it was four sister missionaries and an investigator. The other two sisters were the ones that found D'Angel and were passing him to us so they did the lesson. All I'll say is it was rough. We kept jumping around and weren't really letting him ask his questions and then all of a sudden at the end, one of the sisters invited him to be baptized. Personally I was shocked, confused, and a little bit uncomfortable, but D'Angel paused and said: "I know that what you're saying is good... and I know God wouldn't lead me astray with the feelings I have when I hear what you sisters have to say... give me some time to think but I would like that, yes."
To realize and see first hand that it truly isn't the missionary but the spirit who is the teacher was incredible. Even though our words were all over the place, the spirit was in one. Directed exactly at how D'Angel needed it. I'm so thankful for that witness of the spirit because missionaries by themselves couldn't do it. We're incompetent without the spirit as our constant companion. 

Thursday night we get a call from someone who needed some service so we went over to her apartment the next morning. When we walk in she's completely naked. 
C o m p l e t e l y. 
You're probably thinking "Cmon now sister Beck. Let's be serious" and I AM. Turns out the help she needed was getting showered and changing her diapers.
Listen, I consider myself to be a pretty helpful person. I do what I can. And I am aware that this is the circle of life! It happens to all of us. But this?? This is not my area of expertise.  Baby diapers? Easy. 50+ diapers? Unfortunately just not for for me!
Anyway we did it. Because we're missionaries and I guess that means we are automatically certified CNAs? I'm not going to sit here and lie to you guys. I was holding back tears and trying not to dry heave the entire time. I'm pretty sure I am one of the most sheltered people on the planet. My eyes haven't seen much.. but I saw things and touched things that are now seared into my brain. I can't close my eyes without a flash of it all now. Shoutout to you nurses. You are special and appreciated. 
I will probably have to work through this one for a few days. Who knew it'd be on a mission that'd I'd be the most exposed to... things. Not me.
Sis Clark had a realization though that she thinks she would love to be a nurse and go to school for that so thats amazing for her... I just don't know why God had to include me in on that discovery. Anyway my comp wanted to keep going back every morning but I talked some sense into her. That's gotta be some kind of liability issue right?? We'll help her find an actual nurse.

I have learned to really hate Ring doorbells. Everyone has them and you know what those little stinkers do? They let people know its the missionaries beforehand whereas without them, they open the door and realize too late who it is and then they HAVE to talk to us. Because people can see who we are from their phones we either get completely ignored and can hear them talking in the house or they talk to us through the door. That's right they don't even open up to tell us they don't want to talk to us. On Friday we were at someones door and the guy yells from somewhere in his house "I AM NOT INTERESTED PLEASE LEAVE". So weird. This is my petition to boycott Ring. Solely for missionary efforts. Who's with me?  

Love you all! I appreciate all the love and support!! 

- A traumatized sister Beck 

Pics
- Baby segment 
- We spoke to the YW! 
- I love packages!!!! Its like Christmas every time ☺
- So much rain. Our lake in the backyard gets like massive waves during storms its crazy. 
- jungle












Comments

Popular Posts