Missionary Monday - Forget Yourself and Go To Work

Hi Family and Friends! This is Sister/Hermana/Sœur Beck reporting live from my parents' house aka the @home MTC! 

I started the MTC on Wednesday and I'm in a district of 8 people, four Sisters and four Elders! Four of the missionaries are going to Montreal Canada, two of the elders are going to Cote d’Ivoire which is in West Africa. Soo cool. Then, there's me and my companion Sister Nielsen! I really love her, she is so nice and we are already the best of friends. We are both called to the France Paris Mission and like most missionaries called to France, she was called French speaking :)


I thought I would quickly explain my situation for those of you who may not know! 

I was called to the France Paris mission SPANISH speaking! Kind of unique and cool. BUT, I was in Spanish Immersion since first grade and I put that on my papers. Turns out, if you say you have 12+ years of language experience they take that seriously because now I'm in the MTC for French only. Yep, you read that right. No Spanish in the MTC at all for me. If reading that made you feel scared for me, same. 


Haha but in all honesty, I trust that I know enough Spanish to teach and for what I don't know, I will just learn :) Plus, I am so thankful to be learning French. Not sure how it would work, not speaking French in FRANCE. 


Here's a little French lesson for you non-French speakers. You pronounce "Soeur" basically as "Sir" but with what I like to call a “crunchy R” because the R sound, sounds like the noise you make when you’re eating something crunchy, like an apple. If you ever see me in person, I’ll do a demo for you because I swear promise I’m onto something. Anywho the word Soeur makes me laugh. Maybe it's because here in good ol' America, sir is usually used for a man which I am not but let’s not get into that. 


As for the title of this email, "Forget Yourself and Go to Work". You may know that that is what President Hinckley's dad told President Hinckley when he was out serving his mission in England. Long story short Pres. Hinckley was feeling pretty bad on the mish and wrote his dad about it and all his dad said back was that phrase. 

I really loved it because even though I have been so excited to start my mission, the past week I have been getting freaked out. I started doubting whether I could do it or if I even wanted to do it anymore. Because seriously, it's a lot of hours looking and listening to a computer screen and I'm only 19 but my back is starting to feel like it's 80 years old haha. But it was mentioned in a class that Jesus Christ could do this work if He wanted to. He could declare His word if He wanted to but He is allowing us to do it. It is a privilege to be doing this work. And in those moments of feeling uncertain I was only focused inward on me and my comfort. I wasn't thinking about anything or anyone else. So from now on I'm going to try to just "forget myself and get to work". :)


And now the moment you all have been waiting for! I have been temporarily reassigned to the FLORIDA ORLANDO MISSION!! I am very excited and happy about that. Maybe I can pet an alligator while I'm there. Unfortunately, they don't let missionaries preach inside of Disney World, which personally, I feel is a loss because I think it would be a hub for missionary work. A free Book of Mormon with their $30 churro seems like a screamin’ deal. 


I am so stoked to be a missionary! 

I love you guys

¡Espero que tengas una gran semana!

J'espère que vous passez une bonne semaine!


- Sir Beck


  • My favorite reminder at the moment

  • My MTC set up. If you’ll notice the Books of Mormon supporting my computer. Now that I’m a missionary I feel obligated to turn that into a metaphor on how reading the Book of Mormon can support us in our lives as well. (That was good, don't lie). 
(If she wants to have cheese, she’s gotta have these)
  • Elder Cardozo playing his ukulele for us. You already know we’re going to have to have a uke-off.  I have to (kindly) show him how it's done. It's the only right thing to do, I think. My companion is in the bottom right corner.

  • My recreation of the Dude Ranch salad. Ifykyk.

  • My angel of a dad lets me use his comfortable office chair for my classes! #SaveKloe'sBack

  • un recordatorio tan importante ❤

Comments

Popular Posts