Homework for Life

HAPPY 2020!!

There's this guy named Matthew Dicks.
He's a professional story teller.
He came up with Homework for Life a few years ago.
I've kept a journal since I was in the 6th grade, but I don't write in it daily.  I loved this idea and have been doing it every day since July.

Homework for Life = Each day write down one thing that made that day different from every other day. Perhaps it’s something funny your child said, or something you noticed in a stranger or an experience that changed you in some way. It might be something big but often it will be something small. Homework for Life helps you observe yourself, capture memories and it slows down your life. One woman said it made her year go by at the speed of a year.

Matthew keeps his homework in an excel file.  
I've kept mine in the notes on my phone.  
Sometimes I write more than one thing, but I always keep it brief.  If I want to give more detail I'll write about it in my journal.

Here's a few days of my homework for life from this past year...

August 1st
Coming into the dining room to study and finding two puzzles on the table.  One for Kloe and Nick and one for Lilly.  Made me think of my Dad.




August 2nd
Messages in the temple today...be prayerful, present and patient.

August 10th
Sitting in the temple next to Aubrey while she listened to the session in Ukraine.  And then sitting with her, Kevin and Jackson in the celestial room.  Heaven on earth.



August 17th
Driving home from the cabin and Kevin takes my hand.  I love that.  It never gets old.

August 20th
Talking with Kevin, Kloe and Nick during dinner at Education Week...When we turn to Christ or ask for help He doesn't hesitate.  He doesn't make you wait for the blessing. 

August 23rd
Kevin picks parking stall 318 at the airport, our anniversary :)




August 25th
Participating in the sacrament in Jax and Aub's ward.  We sang my favorite song, As Now We Take the Sacrament.  I felt peace and love in the Spirit.  I asked for forgiveness and expressed gratitude for my blessings.

August 26th
Reading the book Faith is Not Blind on the plane ride home and receiving answers to why my Dad's last days were so full of suffering.  It also fulfilled a blessing Kevin gave me earlier this year where he told me I would be given understanding in this.

August 27th
Pretty big fight with Kevin.  It started rough but ended with humility and love from both sides.

September 2
I made chicken pesto pasta with broccoli and 7 grain bread for dinner and NO ONE COMPLAINED.

September 7
Took Lilly with me to my mom's (I went to paint).  I loved listening to Lilly talk about how much she loves to see Mama Jan and watching her love being at her house.

September 9
Going with Kevin for his 6 month Dr appt and hearing Dr W praise him for working so hard to take care of himself.
Sleeping with sick Kloe.

Sept 16
Picking up birthday bagels for my Gracie at 5:45am.  They made her so happy.

Oct 3
A call from K that she's loving her new home in Wyoming, her drive to and from work in the canyon, and so happy and grateful she's healing.

Oct 11
Holding little Logan and feeling such love for him and thinking that it wasn't too long ago that he was with my dad.  That thought made me happy.



Oct 12
Getting up early to go to the gym with my Jax.  I always enjoy that, and our talks to and from.  He's such a good son.

Oct 21
Went to dinner at Archibalds with mom and Dad's siblings.  They all remind me of my Dad in one way or another.

Oct 29
Sitting at dinner and watching Janie and Lilly eat their taco soup with no complaints and then they both said, "This is really good mom", and THEN Janie asked if she could have it in her lunch tomorrow.  It's the little things.

Oct 30
Kevin sitting in the kitchen sharing with me his new "plan" for ward leadership.  I love that he comes to me for my input.

Nov 7
Early morning hike with Megan.  Sitting cross legged together on a tree bench, holding hands, listening to a meditation app, feeling the sunrise on my face and just enjoying the peace of the moment.

Nov 19
Helping mom paint my old bedroom.  Listening to her talk about all the things.  She's such a good Mama.  I was reminded as she told me about a conversation she had with a woman she met at Hobby Lobby, that she has such a gift for talking with people.  She is so warm and kind and can get people to tell her all about themselves.  She praises and encourages family, friends and strangers alike.

Nov 26
Driving to the cabin with Janie and Lilly and each taking turns choosing songs.  One of mine was If Only by Andrea Bocelli.  Janie looks over and says, "Mom, are you crying?".  Makes me cry every time.  And I can't believe how many songs Janie and Lilly know that I've never heard. 

Dec 1
Sitting in sunday school listening to Kloe talk about how gratitude has blessed her life and is helping her become the person God wants her to be.

Dec 6
Dancing with Kevin in the driveway to the Carpenter's I'll be Home for Christmas 

Dec 13
Sleep watching Christmas movies with my girls on the couch and foot snuggling with Gracie.

Dec 15
Feeling God's love for me in church, where I was reminded to quiet the noise in my mind so I can be more receptive to the spirit.  It can get pretty loud up there in my head.

Dec 20
Feeling all the feels at the Forgotten Carols and loved being able to share it with Nick and his Mom.  First time meeting her and I loved her immediately.



Doing this has helped my year slow down a little and I've got lists of memories I may not have had otherwise.
Thanks Matthew for the idea!
(He'll never read this but if you happen to know him tell him Becky Beck says thank you.)
Looking forward to keeping this habit for 2020!

Popular Posts