Trek 2019 - Sixth Crossing

Day three we treked 8 1/2 miles at Sixth Crossing.
The terrain here was a little more challenging.











Kloe was a youth leader and shared the story of Emma and her sister who as teenagers crossed the plains by themselves.  Emma made up her mind she was going to pull a handcart to Salt Lake and she did.  I think often times that's all it takes for us to accomplish hard things, a decision to do it and then you don't give up.



I was able to be on a the cart with Kloe for the Women's pull (that's where the men step back and the women do it by themselves).  It's to remind the youth of all the women who made the trek alone and show the girls that they are strong and capable.





The Stake President asked me to say a few words after the women's pull.
I shared this message President Nelson gave in the October 2015 General Conference...

Thirty-six years ago, in 1979, President Spencer W. Kimball made a profound prophecy about the impact that covenant-keeping women would have on the future of the Lord’s Church. He prophesied: “Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world … will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different—in happy ways—from the women of the world.”5
My dear sisters, you who are our vital associates during this winding-up scene, the day that President Kimball foresaw is today. You are the women he foresaw! Your virtue, light, love, knowledge, courage, character, faith, and righteous lives will draw good women of the world, along with their families, to the Church in unprecedented numbers!
I talked about the pioneers commitment to going to Utah so they could receive their temple blessings and how women are endowed with Priesthood power in the temple.



We wrapped up our final night with a lot of wind and a lot of fun.





These two were a crack up.
They had to tell us about all the Trek love going on.
Kara had a little 13 year old asking her to be his girlfriend.



On our way home Friday we stopped at Rock Creek Hollow where several pioneers froze to death and are buried there.
We gathered in a little grove for a testimony meeting and it was great to hear the kids share what they had learned and how grateful they were for the pioneers and their commitment to Jesus Christ and his gospel. 
As the meeting wrapped up, I felt incredibly grateful for the past 3 1/2 years of serving in this calling.  I felt so thankful for the experiences that taught me to be more Christlike and for the opportunity to love and serve the girls and their leaders.  I felt like my Father in Heaven had accepted my small offerings of service and was pleased with my efforts.

Did you know?  Of all the pioneers in the Martin and Willie handcart companies, despite their sufferings and loss, not one of them fell away from the church.  They all stayed faithful throughout their lives.



Saturday morning as I approached the temple there was a beautiful sunrise.  Seeing the sunrise, the temple, and the American flag, I felt overwhelmed with gratitude for all the pioneers sacrificed so that I could worship freely, whenever and wherever I'd like.

Popular Posts