Missionary Monday - Glenmont Week 1
Gooood morning.
So this week, transfer calls were Monday night, I'm now in Glenmont with Elder Kelly. A quick overview of Elder Kelly... We were in the MTC together but he was in the 3 week group. When he was 12 his family ended up moving to Guatemala so he's been there ever since with a ton of traveling. His parents work for doterra and so he has a TON of that stuff. I'm convinced it should be against the word of wisdom, it's totally a drug that I don't think he could drop cold turkey 🦃 🤪 😂 But he's cool, we took over his area and Elder Castillo's area so the area is huge but it's a good thing.
Tuesday was a bunch of packing and tracting basically.
Wednesday was transfers, it was fun to see everyone for the first time in a few months. Elder Russell is with Elder Navarro now so they'll be having a good time in Olney. Sister Casebolt from the MTC and all the English sisters we came out with went home so that's super weird. After transfers we dropped all our stuff back at the apartment and did some tracting. I was explaining to Elder Kelly the secret Book of Mormon tracting thing and he was into it, the first door we did it on we got let in, he was blown away haha. Then later we went to mutual, Elder Castillo had a 16 year old kid on date who was going so we went since we haven't met him. We were pretty surprised with mutual, usually the youth in Spanish wards kinda struggle but for mutual the young men switch off every week doing My Duty to God and then studying Preach My Gospel. And they kinda run it themselves, it was cool. Then after at 8:40 a member insisted we go to Boston Market, so we did, turns out he's a super cool dude and basically begged us to take him out with us so that's good to know.
Thursday I didn't write anything in my journal cause I had call ins (I'm district leader again) So all I remember is getting a call at 5:40 while eating my oatmeal from a member asking why we weren't at their house for dinner. We didn't get Elder Castillos area book so we had no idea that was happening. So we went there and they gave us some steak and some steak to go, and half of the fridge and pantry. Super cool people. And also basketball, they started doing basketball every Thursday a few weeks ago and they have managed to get like 15 less actives and non members to come, so that's cool but hopefully we can capitalize on that and get them there on Sunday too 😂
Friday we had district council, I'm in a relief society district (only sisters) and I trained on the secret Book of Mormon, everyone ate it up. Ate with a family at night, had Chile relleno or something like that for the first time. I have some stamps with Spanish dishes on them and that is one of them and I always thought "Man that looks gross" when I'd use that stamp. It's basically a giant spicy pepper stuffed with a bunch of random stuff that you can't really tell what that stuff is. But it wasn't that bad. Then we taught a super cool guy named Fernando, he is a pretty smart guy and understood everything perfectly and was super into it. He said he would come to church (spoiler alert, he didn't) But I have faith in him.
Saturday we met with a lot of people, some on purpose some on accident tracting haha. We knocked into a former investigator of Elder Castillo that I met while I was in the trio with him for 2 weeks 3 months ago, the guy explained what the deal was and is ready to learn again so that's cool. After dinner we tried to meet with Elder Kelly's people across the area but they were all giving us a bunch of lies so he was goin a little crazy but I was used to it from Olney 😬😂 We met with a super cool less active, he's from Mexico but he looks and acts just like the polys haha. His wife is playing games with him but he's keeping his cool.
Sunday we had 2 Investigators come to church and a bunch of less actives which was a breath of fresh air. After church and dinner we were tracting and we only knocked 4 doors, the first and the last let us in. The first one the lady let us in right away and we taught her and her husband about the secret Book of Mormon and they were LOVING it. After like 30 minutes the lady catches on and asks if we are "Mormons". She started to throw out all the classic responses to the Book of Mormon "we only need the Bible, where does it say BoM in the bible, it was written by Joseph Smith blah blah blah" The husband started to set her straight and pretty much retaught what we taught which was cool haha. But she wore the pants and wasn't about to let him have a copy of it in her house so that was a bummer. The fourth house they were coming home from somewhere and they basically begged us to come in, then they begged us to eat their Dominican soup, then they had a million questions, then we were finally able to teach what we had advertised to them initially 😂 It was cool though, good times. The wife was pretty religious but the husband thinks all churches are jokes, he even made fun of the Pentecostals prayers by screaming and shouting and waving his arms (his wife goes to a church called "Evengelica Pentecostal de los Ultimos Tiempos" so she was a Lil offended 😂) But then it was 9 and we had to go home, good stuff.
Today we have a whole lot of nothing, I've been surviving on ramen and oatmeal since transfers. It's hard to take real food but now that we can shop I'll be able to eat like a normal person this week. Hope you all had a great week!
So this week, transfer calls were Monday night, I'm now in Glenmont with Elder Kelly. A quick overview of Elder Kelly... We were in the MTC together but he was in the 3 week group. When he was 12 his family ended up moving to Guatemala so he's been there ever since with a ton of traveling. His parents work for doterra and so he has a TON of that stuff. I'm convinced it should be against the word of wisdom, it's totally a drug that I don't think he could drop cold turkey 🦃 🤪 😂 But he's cool, we took over his area and Elder Castillo's area so the area is huge but it's a good thing.
Tuesday was a bunch of packing and tracting basically.
Wednesday was transfers, it was fun to see everyone for the first time in a few months. Elder Russell is with Elder Navarro now so they'll be having a good time in Olney. Sister Casebolt from the MTC and all the English sisters we came out with went home so that's super weird. After transfers we dropped all our stuff back at the apartment and did some tracting. I was explaining to Elder Kelly the secret Book of Mormon tracting thing and he was into it, the first door we did it on we got let in, he was blown away haha. Then later we went to mutual, Elder Castillo had a 16 year old kid on date who was going so we went since we haven't met him. We were pretty surprised with mutual, usually the youth in Spanish wards kinda struggle but for mutual the young men switch off every week doing My Duty to God and then studying Preach My Gospel. And they kinda run it themselves, it was cool. Then after at 8:40 a member insisted we go to Boston Market, so we did, turns out he's a super cool dude and basically begged us to take him out with us so that's good to know.
Thursday I didn't write anything in my journal cause I had call ins (I'm district leader again) So all I remember is getting a call at 5:40 while eating my oatmeal from a member asking why we weren't at their house for dinner. We didn't get Elder Castillos area book so we had no idea that was happening. So we went there and they gave us some steak and some steak to go, and half of the fridge and pantry. Super cool people. And also basketball, they started doing basketball every Thursday a few weeks ago and they have managed to get like 15 less actives and non members to come, so that's cool but hopefully we can capitalize on that and get them there on Sunday too 😂
Friday we had district council, I'm in a relief society district (only sisters) and I trained on the secret Book of Mormon, everyone ate it up. Ate with a family at night, had Chile relleno or something like that for the first time. I have some stamps with Spanish dishes on them and that is one of them and I always thought "Man that looks gross" when I'd use that stamp. It's basically a giant spicy pepper stuffed with a bunch of random stuff that you can't really tell what that stuff is. But it wasn't that bad. Then we taught a super cool guy named Fernando, he is a pretty smart guy and understood everything perfectly and was super into it. He said he would come to church (spoiler alert, he didn't) But I have faith in him.
Saturday we met with a lot of people, some on purpose some on accident tracting haha. We knocked into a former investigator of Elder Castillo that I met while I was in the trio with him for 2 weeks 3 months ago, the guy explained what the deal was and is ready to learn again so that's cool. After dinner we tried to meet with Elder Kelly's people across the area but they were all giving us a bunch of lies so he was goin a little crazy but I was used to it from Olney 😬😂 We met with a super cool less active, he's from Mexico but he looks and acts just like the polys haha. His wife is playing games with him but he's keeping his cool.
Sunday we had 2 Investigators come to church and a bunch of less actives which was a breath of fresh air. After church and dinner we were tracting and we only knocked 4 doors, the first and the last let us in. The first one the lady let us in right away and we taught her and her husband about the secret Book of Mormon and they were LOVING it. After like 30 minutes the lady catches on and asks if we are "Mormons". She started to throw out all the classic responses to the Book of Mormon "we only need the Bible, where does it say BoM in the bible, it was written by Joseph Smith blah blah blah" The husband started to set her straight and pretty much retaught what we taught which was cool haha. But she wore the pants and wasn't about to let him have a copy of it in her house so that was a bummer. The fourth house they were coming home from somewhere and they basically begged us to come in, then they begged us to eat their Dominican soup, then they had a million questions, then we were finally able to teach what we had advertised to them initially 😂 It was cool though, good times. The wife was pretty religious but the husband thinks all churches are jokes, he even made fun of the Pentecostals prayers by screaming and shouting and waving his arms (his wife goes to a church called "Evengelica Pentecostal de los Ultimos Tiempos" so she was a Lil offended 😂) But then it was 9 and we had to go home, good stuff.
Today we have a whole lot of nothing, I've been surviving on ramen and oatmeal since transfers. It's hard to take real food but now that we can shop I'll be able to eat like a normal person this week. Hope you all had a great week!
Elder Beck
Picture: there was a "New district leader skype" on Saturday and President Johnson accidentally sent a selfie, I'll probably make that my wallpaper so I always choose the right on my device 😂 😂

