The 2nd Viewing and Funeral

The viewing before the funeral was packed.
So many people love my parents.



My mom asked each of us kids to bring something to put in Dad's casket.
I decided on a paint brush.
He taught me all I know about painting and the two of us did lots and lots of painting together.



Maybe the most important thing to him was his temple recommend.
That was tucked in there somewhere too.


















My brother in law Danial gave a beautiful family prayer and then we entered the chapel for the funeral.



Papa Tom with two of his eight namesakes.
Korbin Thomas and Preston Thomas.
The other six are
Richard Thomas
Jackson Thomas
Samuel Thomas
Tirk Thomas
Thomas Cannon
Thomas Kazuo



Pretty impressive posterity!
Fun fact:  My Dad was only one of two people who call me Rebecca.
The other is my awesome friend Maureen.



Yep, every one of Dad's kids spoke.
There are a lot of us.
Mom said we each had 5 minutes.
As the oldest of the 7 I told them to time their talks to be sure they didn't go too far over.
Some of them listened.



Some of them didn't ;)



My brother Rob was the first to speak.
I'm so glad he snapped this photo.  I spoke specifically to the grand kids so I never looked past the first few rows.
The chapel, overflow, and gym were full.
Dad had a few friends.



Some of the grand daughters played a medley of primary hymns Kimmy arranged.  She accompanied them on the piano.



All his 39 grands and 2 great's sang Families Can Be Together Forever.



Elder Beck and Elder Sollis got to Skype in for the funeral.
A few days before the funeral Dakota asked me to email the mission secretary to see if he could get permission from his Mission President.
I thought there was no way he'd say yes.
Not only did he say yes, but he encouraged it.







For all of you who have missionaries out, Kevin's been pouring over the handbook and when he was preparing for his first funeral he came across this...



Both missionaries were so glad they could Skype in.  It helped with their grieving and closure.  Technology is the best.

Popular Posts