Missionary Monday - Anacostia Week 11

What's up? 

So last Monday we had a district meeting with the Capitol hill district, Elder Asays mom ordered pizza in the middle of it so that was awesome. Afterwards Elder Carver gave me a haircut and that was the best free haircut I've had since I've been here. 

Tuesday we had district meetings and then that night we ate with the sheltons, they sent us home with a cake so that was a bonus. After that we were tracting and at 8:40we got let in by a pretty cool guy. He's a Sunday school teacher at his Baptist church and he sure loves his Jesus. He preached to us about how great God was and after he talked himself out he asked what we had for him so we taught a quick restoration and he was open to it and wants to learn more. He gave us a mini Baptist propaganda pamphlet thing and his sons Christian rock mixtape... I love getting random stuff like that 😂 

Wednesday we had a Skype call in the morning 💩 Then later we went to Eugene's (crazy member) and he wouldn't let us in until he finished cleaning so we were in the little courtyard thing with his nephew Deangelo playing with a football. He kept talking smack as he'd run around telling us to tackle him (he's like 5) he ran past me and I pushed his shoulder not hard at all and he ended up sliding into a bush 😂 I told him I had lock down D 🤷🏿‍♂️ When we left we gave him a ton of cards and told him to give them to everyone thinking his friends cause he's always hanging out with other kids. But as we were walking to the car he walked up to a guy and made him take a card 😂 Later we went to see Naima (investigator) at the hospital, Apperently she ate some McDonald's and then got super sick, they were taking blood while we were there but they could barely find a vein so she was freaking out a little bit and normally I'm fine but I was getting super light headed, I'm weak. I could never work in a hospital. 

Thursday on Thursday morningwe were tracting and got let in on the last door, that was cool. It was an older black man with a strong Baptist faith so our little restoration talk we gave him didn't sit well with him. He said he'd pray about it but we'll see. I feel like we teach it pretty simply and not offensive but the only thing that Baptist Investigators seem to get out of the restoration is that we are the only right ones and their's is wrong. Which is true, but it makes it a huuuuge stumbling block for them since they believe all you have to do is look and live pretty much. So I'm working on adjusting teaching for the Baptist faith since that's 90% of the people we meet. After lunch we cut brother masons hair, he said it look awesome. After dinner we had a priesthood leadership meeting with all the bishoprics and other presidencies at the stake center. That was super good, it was ran by the stake president and president johnson. Basically the Suitland stake is going to start having ward missionaries/ward mission leader/bishoprics/anyone go tracting one night a week. It should be interesting to see how that goes. 

Friday we were going to mow sister guy's lawn but the 10% chance of rain turned into 100% so that didn't happen. We tracted instead, nothing too promising. We met a Muslim guy and I think I gave him a run for his money. He used to be Christian but he had a problem that "The Bible says to worship no man but yall worship Jesus" we talked about prophets (Since Muslims believe in those) And how there were prophets in america too who wrote down their teachings/knowledge they recieve from God, and they all testified of Christ, and how all that is in the book of Mormon, he had never heard that before and was starting to be interested until his muslim pride caught back up to him and he said "Yeah but I'm Muslim and I dont want to get distracted from the path I'm on..." So close. Later we had a Bible referral for a woman named Yetunday. Usually Bible referrals aren't very promising because they want a free Bible and nothing more but she invited us in and was super interested in what we have to say so we'll be going back this week. She fed us some Nigerian spicy fish too, I forgot to tell her I was "allergic" I survived. 

Saturday I was on an exchange in our area with Elder Munger. We tore it up. We had nothing but finding all day since our lessons fell through and we found 3 new Investigators 🎉 On guy we met tracting opened the door and started laughing. He said "Yooooo, I seen the videos of yall whoopin (expletive) on the basketball court in the hood! And now yall are comin to my door!" That was funny. He was a super cool guy and wants to have us back to finish talking about the restoration. The other noteworthy thing of the day was Elder Mungers lunch. He had 3 cans of tuna without cooking it, 4 eggs, and a hamburger patty. Hes an animal 😂 He said he wants to gain more weight so I guess he eats anything and everything. 

Sunday we had stake correlation and that was the usual. The meeting ran super long so we got to church at the end of sacrament meeting. 2 minutes after we walked in 2 ambulances showed up. I guess a less active woman that's less active because of her medical problems came for the first time in a while and passed out. We also learned that the last 4 times she's come in the past year she's gone home in an ambulance, so that's sad. After church we ate with the gamerens, they had Aldi take and bake pizza but the non flat crust pizzas cooked to the rack, so in order to get it off brother gamren put a cardboard slab on top of the pizza then flipped the whole rack over, it didn't work. After we tracted a bunch. The highlight of the night was parking next to some dumpsters that had a Cat on them, I opened the door and slammed it again and it almost slipped off and then booked it 😂 Gottem. 

Today we got a whole lot of nothing going on. 

I hope you all had a great week as well and I look forward to hearing from you! 

Elder Beck

Pictures
Haircut
Brother masons haircut
Selfie with my kids
Deangelo
The last supper 
And the door made us look like the hunchback of notre dame

Also, I put all the videos from the last few weeks that were too big to email in a folder on drive so here's the link for that
















Comments

Popular Posts