Missionary Monday - Anacostia Week 10
Que Pasa?
The apartment finally got a working lock on the outside doors so I'll put the address if anyone feels compelled to send anything.
4105 Southern Avenue Apt 5j
Capitol Heights, MD 20743
So last Tuesday we had zone conference at the stake center by the temple so the whole zone had to drive pretty far and leave pretty early. The furthest set of Elders left at 6 and got there at 9:30 (it started at 9) We barely made it on time, our shower head exploded and shot water everywhere the night before so we were Freakin out on what we were gonna do. Luckily the head broke off after a little bit so we just fire hosed it. But zone conference was good, it was all about repentance, we must be doing something wrong 😉 At the end of zone conference they prepped us on what we needed to do for the hurricane Thursday-Saturday, I was excited because being in a natural disaster is on my bucket list but spoiler alert, it didn't even rain any of those days. :( Looks like I'll have to go to the natural disaster if I want to check that off. )
Wednesday we had our lesson with Jerry the Baptist pastor and that went alright. I think he is hoping it's not true because if it is he will have to give up a lot of things (His ministry). So he kept resorting to the typical "All churches are good", "I've accepted Christ and believe I'm on the path", etc. So that was unfortunate. But he's still willing to meet with us so maybe it will be a slower moving process. We want to get president Johnson to come to a lesson, he's pretty good at helping people realize that if they were smart they'd drop everything to join the church, we would have that conversation ourselves but it doesn't come across the same way when two 19 year olds tell you that. After we had to get supplies and then tracted out the night.
Thursday was alright, we met with Brother Mason in the afternoon, that was the usual. He was wearing a Treyvon Martin t-shirt I thought that was interesting. After him we went to the deanwood nursing home to meet with a less active member, he ended up not being there. When we were walking out we walked past the hangout spot where everyone comes to smoke and we waved then someone said "Yall Mormons? What's a Mormon?" So we stopped and talked to all 12 of them and it was pretty much a sermon on the mount, it was pretty cool. One woman in particular was pretty interested and wanted us to come back on Saturday. Then walking out the woman who runs the gate also wanted to know what our deal was haha. So that was cool. She said we were fake though because we didn't have bikes 🤷🏿♂️ 😂
Friday morning we were tracting and walking around and a woman called out to us "Elders!?" We say yeah, then she says "I'm LDS! You two are an answer to my prayer! I asked God to send you two, and he did!". So that was cool. Apparently she was a super active member in California then came here and had some major health issues for a while (She had a hole in her throat and needed an oxygen tank) And over time the ward kind of forgot about her. She’s good enough to get herself to church now. She said I looked like Tom Cruise from top gun and she couldn't put her finger on who Elder Attanasio looked like so I threw out "Adam Sandler?" And she couldn't stop laughing, I don't think he does but 🤷🏿♂️ She also told us that she died in an ambulance once, long story short, the plan of salvation is spot on. And if Christ has green eyes when he comes again she isn't making it up. Later we met with a guy named Derrick and he was cool, he welcomed us in and was talking a hundred miles an hour about 2 Timothy and John and stuff, asked for a picture with me, thanked us for coming, then had us leave. It was super weird but he was a cool guy.
Saturday we had a lesson in the morning and it was pretty good, the man is a refugee from Liberia and he was super cool. He accepted the soft Baptismal invitation and wanted to come to church so we will see how that goes. After lunch we met with the woman from the deanwood nursing home and that went alright, we planned on the restoration but then she was asking about plan of salvation stuff so we decided to teach that. She started over thinking it though and was asking stuff like "So who made God??" So that was hard to keep it focused but she loved having us and recognized the spirit and wants to meet like twice a week so with time 🤞🏾 After dinner we tracted and got let in by a Baptist guy, we didn't even really say anything haha. He answered the door and was like "So you wanna talk for a minute or something? Come in." He wasn't super interested I think he was being nice but hey I'll take it. He might come to church this next Sunday. He plays in the band at his church and they don't have services every 4th Sunday so he wants to come and see.
Sunday was ward conference and it was pretty good, the speakers all did great and it was the most members in church that I've seen since I've been here. Priesthood was taught by a recent convert and he did an awesome job. After church we ate with the Gamerens like usual, then did a bunch of finding. At 8:30 we got a referral for a woman who requested a Book of Mormon online, we were already in the area so we called her and asked if we could bring it right then and she was blown away by how "Freaky fast" we got it to her, she was super curious about it and wants us to answer some of her questions when it's not 8:30 at night haha. But she was pretty cool.
Anyways, I hope you all had a great week and I can't wait to hear from you!
The apartment finally got a working lock on the outside doors so I'll put the address if anyone feels compelled to send anything.
4105 Southern Avenue Apt 5j
Capitol Heights, MD 20743
So last Tuesday we had zone conference at the stake center by the temple so the whole zone had to drive pretty far and leave pretty early. The furthest set of Elders left at 6 and got there at 9:30 (it started at 9) We barely made it on time, our shower head exploded and shot water everywhere the night before so we were Freakin out on what we were gonna do. Luckily the head broke off after a little bit so we just fire hosed it. But zone conference was good, it was all about repentance, we must be doing something wrong 😉 At the end of zone conference they prepped us on what we needed to do for the hurricane Thursday-Saturday, I was excited because being in a natural disaster is on my bucket list but spoiler alert, it didn't even rain any of those days. :( Looks like I'll have to go to the natural disaster if I want to check that off. )
Wednesday we had our lesson with Jerry the Baptist pastor and that went alright. I think he is hoping it's not true because if it is he will have to give up a lot of things (His ministry). So he kept resorting to the typical "All churches are good", "I've accepted Christ and believe I'm on the path", etc. So that was unfortunate. But he's still willing to meet with us so maybe it will be a slower moving process. We want to get president Johnson to come to a lesson, he's pretty good at helping people realize that if they were smart they'd drop everything to join the church, we would have that conversation ourselves but it doesn't come across the same way when two 19 year olds tell you that. After we had to get supplies and then tracted out the night.
Thursday was alright, we met with Brother Mason in the afternoon, that was the usual. He was wearing a Treyvon Martin t-shirt I thought that was interesting. After him we went to the deanwood nursing home to meet with a less active member, he ended up not being there. When we were walking out we walked past the hangout spot where everyone comes to smoke and we waved then someone said "Yall Mormons? What's a Mormon?" So we stopped and talked to all 12 of them and it was pretty much a sermon on the mount, it was pretty cool. One woman in particular was pretty interested and wanted us to come back on Saturday. Then walking out the woman who runs the gate also wanted to know what our deal was haha. So that was cool. She said we were fake though because we didn't have bikes 🤷🏿♂️ 😂
Friday morning we were tracting and walking around and a woman called out to us "Elders!?" We say yeah, then she says "I'm LDS! You two are an answer to my prayer! I asked God to send you two, and he did!". So that was cool. Apparently she was a super active member in California then came here and had some major health issues for a while (She had a hole in her throat and needed an oxygen tank) And over time the ward kind of forgot about her. She’s good enough to get herself to church now. She said I looked like Tom Cruise from top gun and she couldn't put her finger on who Elder Attanasio looked like so I threw out "Adam Sandler?" And she couldn't stop laughing, I don't think he does but 🤷🏿♂️ She also told us that she died in an ambulance once, long story short, the plan of salvation is spot on. And if Christ has green eyes when he comes again she isn't making it up. Later we met with a guy named Derrick and he was cool, he welcomed us in and was talking a hundred miles an hour about 2 Timothy and John and stuff, asked for a picture with me, thanked us for coming, then had us leave. It was super weird but he was a cool guy.
Saturday we had a lesson in the morning and it was pretty good, the man is a refugee from Liberia and he was super cool. He accepted the soft Baptismal invitation and wanted to come to church so we will see how that goes. After lunch we met with the woman from the deanwood nursing home and that went alright, we planned on the restoration but then she was asking about plan of salvation stuff so we decided to teach that. She started over thinking it though and was asking stuff like "So who made God??" So that was hard to keep it focused but she loved having us and recognized the spirit and wants to meet like twice a week so with time 🤞🏾 After dinner we tracted and got let in by a Baptist guy, we didn't even really say anything haha. He answered the door and was like "So you wanna talk for a minute or something? Come in." He wasn't super interested I think he was being nice but hey I'll take it. He might come to church this next Sunday. He plays in the band at his church and they don't have services every 4th Sunday so he wants to come and see.
Sunday was ward conference and it was pretty good, the speakers all did great and it was the most members in church that I've seen since I've been here. Priesthood was taught by a recent convert and he did an awesome job. After church we ate with the Gamerens like usual, then did a bunch of finding. At 8:30 we got a referral for a woman who requested a Book of Mormon online, we were already in the area so we called her and asked if we could bring it right then and she was blown away by how "Freaky fast" we got it to her, she was super curious about it and wants us to answer some of her questions when it's not 8:30 at night haha. But she was pretty cool.
Anyways, I hope you all had a great week and I can't wait to hear from you!
Elder Beck
Alex baptized his daughter a few weeks ago! (convert from my first area)
More Pictures:
Melo and Octavious went back to Idaho for school and this picture sums them up pretty well.
A shot up car at an apartment complex 🤔
Ur stronger than that
Barrack Obama is my homeboy
District activity last week
The shower (Cup is the solution for the water shooting everywhere but then it just fell off)
The guy who wanted the picture
A cake that a member gave us

