The Query Letter
Kevin flies to Mesa today.
Emmy will pick him up at the airport and on their way out of town they'll stop at Emmy's friend's house to drop off a copy of Kevin's book. This friend has connections to Scholastic which would be one of our top choices for a publisher. Getting the book into the schools is Kevin's main goal.
This is the cover photo we are leaning towards.
It's a real picture of Dakota back when he was around 12 years old.
The main character, Bones Brooks (Bones was Dakota's nickname when he was little and Brooks because we love Garth and Brooks sounds cooler than Beck) is 12 and finds himself exploring slot canyons just like this one.
Kevin took this picture with his book in mind, back when he was in the beginning stages of writing it.
Another publisher he'll be submitting the book to is Mountain Shadow Publishing. Below is the query letter he and Aubrey put together (and the wife contributed just a little to it too). Mountain Shadow has specific requirements and I think they nailed it! Aubrey is so good with putting words together.
Dear ... ,
Given that you are actively seeking middle-grade fiction, I am pleased to introduce my complete novel, BONES AND THE TREASURE MAP. This mysterious adventure story, similar in tone to Gary Paulsen’s Hatchet, is set in the challenging terrain of Southern Utah. The manuscript is 42,537 words.
Dakota “Bones” Brooks is a determined, thoughtful, and independent adolescent with a secret treasure map cryptically detailing the directions to the hidden location of gold left by American outlaws Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. However, his time to decipher the map is limited because the life of his ailing grandfather is on the line. Ultimately, his unique talent of free diving makes him uniquely qualified to solve this mystery, but not without first overcoming life-threatening disappointments and setbacks.
While the industry is flooded with fantasy and science fiction, BONES AND THE TREASURE MAP offers a realistic adventure. The story is set in real places and inspired by real family relationships. Dakota “Bones” Brooks has a real super power and will relate to young readers with his familiar hyperbolic adolescent voice. I know readers will identify with Bones and find him an appealing hero as he learns to conquer adversity and embrace his individuality. Furthermore, the setting and subtle historical outlaw references will motivate readers to venture into the great outdoors.
My ultimate goal is to visit schools, promote literacy, encourage resilience, and inspire interest in the outdoors. Thus, my sister, who is a third grade teacher, will create lesson plans that revolve around the book. These lesson plans will eventually be available on a popular online marketplace for original educational resources (www.teacherspayteachers.com). I am confident that the values of innovation and determination demonstrated in the book will attract both students and teachers. Furthermore, as a lifetime resident of Utah, I am intimately familiar with the unique landscape and locations detailed in the book. This will make my presentations in schools particularly engaging as I combine the story of Bones with personal experiences. In addition, I will market on Amazon, facilitate giveaways on Goodreads, generate exposure by sending copies to bloggers and reporters, and market on personal social media platforms. My real-estate business is now self-sustaining and I am highly motivated to devote the necessary time and energy to ensure this book influences as many young readers as possible.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your response.
Sincerely,
Kevin David Beck
I am so proud of Kevin and all his hard work. Even though he submitted it to some literary agents months ago, he's continued to work on it. Over the past several weeks we've carefully read through it together and despite having read the book several times, I still got emotional over the ending. I think kids and their parents are going to love it!

