So Here you go

Last weekend my parents took us to dinner.  


I decided to interview them while I had their undivided attention so here you go...
 
Dad, what first attracted you to Mom?
We just had a lot of fun that first date and I thought she was as cute as can be.

Mom, what first attracted you to Dad?
It was a really good first date and then 5 days later he invited me to come to dinner at his house and go hear him speak in a sacrament meeting.  That was when I learned what a strong testimony of the gospel he had and how much he loved the scriptures.  I think that, more than anything else, impressed me most about your Dad.

Where did you go on your first date?
He picked me up in his turquoise convertible and took me to a play at Promised Valley Theater.  It was an outside theater right across from the Salt Lake Temple.  Afterward we went for ice cream at Velor's.   We went to go in and it starts to rain so I asked him if he wanted to put the top up.  I could tell he was a little hesitant, then he got under the dash board and was hot wiring it so the top would go down.  It took about 15 minutes for him to get the top up so by the time we got to the door of Velor's it was closed.

Mom, you had your first 6 kids in 9 years, what was your favorite thing about having a house full of kids?  
It was hard (and then she cracks up) I remember when the 3 last ones came:  Rick, Rob and Kim.  All the others were 2 years apart and then Rick and Rob were 15 months and Rob and Kim were 17 apart.  We had 3 in diapers and 3 in bottles.  I was tired.  I remember your Mom's hands were so bad from wringing out all those diapers (cloth diaper days, not by choice).  But I wouldn't have traded it for anything.  We had a good life.  I loved being a Mom and taking care of babies even though I got no sleep and was running on empty.  I also loved that you guys didn't need to have friends over because you always had someone to play with which was really awesome.  I might have been tired all the time but that was a really special time in my life when all you kids were so tiny.  I just loved it.  PS-6 years later, when Megan came along, life was much calmer and Mom also enjoyed having only one child in bottles and disposable diapers.

Dad, same question...
On the whole I just thought it was fun.  Each of you had your personalities and as each of you came along you just sparked off of each other.  Mom chimes in--I think one of our favorite times was our meal hour every day because we just had fun.

Mom, what is your favorite thing about having adult children?
Oh, I love that.  I think my girls and my boys are my best friends and I can confide in any of them.  And then all the grand kids, it's just a fun thing.

Dad, same question...
It's been fun watching you kids raise your own children and having opportunities to spend time with each of your families.  It was great to be able to spend a week with your family last Summer.  It's fun to go stay for a week or more with your brother and sisters who live out of town.  You see the ups and downs and in betweens and at the end of the day everybody loves each other and everybody has their various traditions.  I've enjoyed being able to be a part of your lives and go into your homes to help with various projects and see you interface with your children.

What is your best parenting advice?
Mom--Just love them unconditionally.  Dad--My mom always said, there will be times when they don't know who they are, don't think you know who they are, just keep loving them.

What do you love most about being a grandma?
You know, they were fun as babies but I love seeing them growing up and getting their own personalities.  I enjoy spending time with them and I love to quiz them and find out what's going on in their lives (she is REALLY good at this).  I just love getting close to the kids and talking one on one.  I thoroughly enjoy that.

What do you love most about being a grandpa?
Where do I begin?  I just love being around the kids.  Whether it's going to watch a sporting event or a performance.  But I think being able to have them come to my home is the best.  They'll call and say, "When are we going to have a sleep over again?"  I enjoy seeing them succeed, cheering them on, being there for them, and talking with them.

What's your favorite thing to do together at this stage of your life?
We like to go to movies if we can get the recliners.
I think our favorite thing is going to see our grand kids.

Dad, what is your favorite thing about Mom?
She just loves me.  She sometimes over does it in looking after me.  At the end of the day that's ok.  It's nice to have a guardian.  That and we still laugh together.  We do enjoy, at dinner time, watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.

Mom, what is your favorite thing about Dad?
We laugh and enjoy each other's company.  I don't know if a lot of people can say that after 47 years.  One of the attributes I love about him is he's willing to give service to whoever needs it.  I love how he can't get enough of his grand kids.

I have one more question, this is the most important one, what is your favorite thing about your oldest daughter and her husband?
One thing I really enjoy about you two is you are forward looking, you're always involved in bringing people together and you've touched a lot of lives in the process.
I feel like you guys are the glue that holds all of us together.  Somebody has to be the one to plan things and you guys are always reaching out and bringing the family together.  I don't know if we would do as much as we do together if you didn't schedule everything.  I love the way you are with your kids.  I've never heard either one of you yell at the kids.

So there you go.  Now you know a little more about Mama Jan and Papa Tom.


And check out the puzzle masters :)

Popular Posts