Overcoming Fear with Faith

My Sundays are usually filled with the good stuff.
Inspiration, heaven's education and family.
But yesterday was a spiritual feast from start to finish.
It began at 7:30am with some awesome youth at our mission prep class.
The lesson was taken from Preach My Gospel chapter 5.


We discussed some of the questions of the soul and how The Book of Mormon answers them.  
At one point I got to roll play as the investigator and the girls were the sister missionaries answering my questions about how to have a more happy and unified family.  I have a friend who is struggling with this so I shared some of her concerns (as if they were my own) and one of the "sisters" referred me to this scripture...


As I read its words the Spirit testified to me of the truthfulness of them.  It felt like Christ himself was teaching me.  The "sisters" explained that through my obedience our family would be blessed and we talked about some ways to bring the Spirit into my home.
Later in Sacrament Meeting the speaker talked about how you don't have to be perfect to be a perfect family.  He pointed out how the majority of the families in the Bible and Book of Mormon were dysfunctional.  It started with the first family, Adam and Eve.  Their son killed his brother.  It doesn't get much more dysfunctional than that.  He talked about how Faith, Hope and Charity all go together.


I hadn't ever looked at Hope that way.  We have faith in Christ and his Atonement and that gives us hope for ourselves to be forgiven.  We are then free to focus our lives on others.  Maybe I'm slow but this was such a great lesson for me.


Later Kevin's family came over for dinner and family night.
Tami taught us about overcoming our Fear with Faith.
She shared this message...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ssHhzi7alI


And then we talked about times when we'd overcome fear with faith.
The consistent theme throughout the stories was drawing on the power of prayer to overcome our fears.





And how cute is Beau in his church overalls.

Popular Posts