Back to School Dinner 2015

The menu for our Back to School Dinner was simple:
Turkey
Mashed potatoes and Gravy
Peas
Rolls with the stuff on top
(the stuff would be butter, parmesan cheese and salad supreme)
and peach crisp with vanilla ice cream for dessert (made by Kloe May)



Our 2015/16 family theme is...


Kevin picked our theme this year and he talked to the kids about what it means to build our foundation on Jesus Christ and how it can help them in the coming school year.


We used to introduce our family theme the beginning of January for the calendar year but a few years ago we switched to introducing our family theme at the beginning of the school year.  I got the idea from THIS awesome blogger--although she calls hers "Back to School Feasts" and they are a lot fancier than mine.  The new year is a great time for resolutions and new starts and I like the idea of  getting our focus right at the beginning of the school year too.
While I had all the kids together at the dinner table I went over the new school schedule.  It's back to getting up at 6:15 for family prayer and scripture study.  The big kids said that in addition to our Book of Mormon studies they want to study more from the Bible this school year (I about fell over when they said that as I was expecting some complaining about having to get up so early).  The little girls new bedtime is 7:30, which will be a pretty big change from 10:00.  And I broke the news to the big kids that the internet will be shut off at 9 every night--hopefully that will encourage them to go to sleep at a decent hour.  I told them 8:00 is mom and dad time and to leave us alone and they all said ewwwwwww.  It will be a miracle if we can pull off the night time schedule but I'm going to give it all I've got.
After dinner Kevin gave all the kids father's blessings and I took notes like I always do so they can refer back to them throughout the school year.  Lilly won't be in school this year but she wanted a blessing too, but told her dad to make it short.  Kevin gave the kids beautiful blessings but she wasn't happy about how long it was taking :).


Before our dinner Estabon and I had a little photo shoot for the sock website...




This one's from Estabon's Sunday sock collection.
Lamanite Warriors with the scripture "...and they did fight like dragons..." Alma 43:44, which you can't see because the shoe is covering it.

Popular Posts