Missionary Monday - Week 3 in Indianopolis

Boa tarde,

This week was pretty good. It rained almost everyday with some mean lightning storms. I really like those. Especially when you are in a tall building and you can see the lightning everywhere. 

We baptized three Haitians last Saturday. David, Jerry, and Juna. They are all really cool. David and Jerry speak like five different languages. David's dad is a Baptist pastor back in Haiti, but his dad never made him get baptized. Jerry lives with David and he is actually my favorite, but I don't really know a whole lot about his background. I need to work on that. Then Juna is the cousin of one of our members and she just got here like four weeks ago. She doesn't speak Portuguese or English so for all the lessons we had to teach her cousin in English and he would translate for her into French. And Elder Figueiredo isn't comfortable teaching in English, so I pretty much did everything. Ha. That's okay though. I really like teaching in my native tongue.

Last year this area baptized 4 people (none of which are still active) and we already have that in one month, but now our teaching pool is really thin. Finding people to teach is my least favorite part of the mission, so that's why I prefer to train my members how to find people for us. Ha. One of the things that I really like about this area is that the missionary work is very similar to how it was in the states. So I am really excited to apply the things I learned up there.

Our only two investigators are two middle aged "spiritualist" ladies. What got them interested in talking to us was the Plan of Salvation. Their beliefs are almost exactly the same as ours, they just have a different name for everything. The only problem is that they hate organized religion. Ha. So right now we are in a rebuilding process.

There is a park in our area called the Ibirapuera park and it is basically the central park of Sao Paulo. The only thing is that we aren't allowed to go there. President Pinho said that none of the Sao Paulo missions are allowed to go there, but today we got permission to go with some members today and to our surprise we found at least ten missionaries from other missions spending their PDay there too. So we aren't allowed to go into a park that is in our area, but other missions can. But anyways, the park is awesome. It's the only thing close to natural in the city. 

I think that's all I have. There aren't as many new occurences these days. Let me know if there is something more you would like to know about.

Elder Beck


Comments

Popular Posts