Missionary Monday - Week 12 in Marshall
They left us together for another transfer!
Let me tell you some more about Gary Morgan. He is the one the was a cop, got it by a car, died on the helicopter ride to the hospital and was told it was not his time and he still had things left to do. He recovered, became a non-denominational minister and started a self defense karate school. Then he met the Mormons. When I first met him we would only go over every other week and Elder Farris would ride him about coming to church and he wouldn't have any of it. He read the whole Book of Mormon in about three months and was still really apprehensive but said that he felt like he needed to do some further investigating so we gave him the teachings of the prophet Joseph Smith and he read it in a month. Then we gave him the Gospel Essentials book and he read it in a week. He came to all five sessions of conference this weekend, has finished the Pearl of Great Price, and has a baptismal interview tomorrow. We've been going over to his studio to break those karate boards and punch stuff, which is fun, but I'm still nervous for him. Its almost too good to be true. Hopefully conference didn't burn him out. I still don't even have the spiritual endurance for all ten hours. And I'm worried about him being fellowshipped too. Our branch is pretty good, but still. Mormon's aren't always great at fellowshipping. We went to the Lutheran, Methodist, and Assembly of God churches this week and EVERY single person at those churches came and shook our hands. It helps too. I'm scared to death to walk into another church, but they are always super nice and then I wonder what I was afraid of. The Methodists even offered us coffee and cookies. I thought she was messing with us when she offered the coffee, but she apologized to us after someone told her who we were. Their cookies were delicious though. And don't even get me started on the muffins at the Assembly of God. Anyways, my point is that I want you guys to be better fellowshippers and not just to investigators. There are lonely members in every ward/branch. Talk to them at church. Have them over for dinner. You're supposed to be a family.
The Lutheran church was weird. The Pastor wore robes, sang weird phrases, and preached from a Rapunzel tower. They had a mean organ though.
The Assembly of God was just having an administrative meeting so there was no preaching, just great muffins.
There is a HUGE Methodist church in Albion that we've been waiting for conference weekend so we could go, but it was full of old people and the service was unimpressive. They had communion (the sacrament) and the pastor said at least ten times that they don't know why they take communion they just know Jesus said to do it. I've always thought that I'd be a Methodist if I wasn't Mormon because every Methodist I know is super chill and Joseph Smith said he was partial to the Methodists, but I am reassessing that now. I do understand that it varies from church to church, but still.
We had a plague-like infestation of box bugs on our patio this week. We bought bug spray, but that didn't even phase them. Then Elder Tu'ua had the genius idea to get a lighter and make a flame thrower with the bug spray. Looking back it probably wasn't the brightest idea, but it sure was fun.
I don't know if I've told you about Leah Hitz. She had been talking with her friends online in Florida who are members and decided that this is something she wants to do. She said her friend told her she would know as soon as she steps into the church if it is right and when she came last week she said she felt it. She also has a baptismal interview tomorrow. I have the same worries. Elder Beck does not baptize into inactivity.
Another thing. I unfolded a line in my Patriarchal Blessing that had been puzzling me. It said I should "prepare for a full timemission, where I would be called to serve for a period of time" - Its talking about Visa waiting.
I hope you guys are doing well. Hopefully I have some pictures in the whites for you next week.
Elder Beck
1 - Lamanite kids are crazy!
2 - Brother Young made us a stew in a pumpkin yesterday. I guess that is one of their traditions.





