The 20 Year Trip - Part 3
We really enjoyed visiting Pearl Harbor. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around all that happened here. The only thing I can relate it to is the way I felt when the terrorists attacked on September 11th.
Kevin wanted me to see some of the Waikiki beaches. If you look closely you'll see that it was crawling with people. So many bodies were crowded onto this beach! Which is why we stayed on the North Shore. North Shore=No People :) Okay, there are a few people, but not many.
The Triple D restaurant we chose to try on Oahu was Hank's Haute Dogs. Kevin got the "Fat Boy" which was a hot dog wrapped in bacon and fried. It was fantastic! I got the "Hawaiian" which was a Portuguese sausage with mango mustard and pineapple. It was okay, but next time I'll get the Fat Boy too :)
Speaking of pineapple...we stopped at the Dole Plantation. Kevin is a BIG fan of pineapple. This pineapple ice cream was fantastic! So fantastic we came back for more a few days later.
We stopped at a few beaches on the way home from the Plantation. The waves on the North Shore are still pretty big and they were so fun to watch. Several of the beaches were roped off with signs warning you not to go in the water because the waves were so strong.
I've had several people ask me how we got such great airfare and for more information about where we stayed. We flew on Allegiant. They don't fly out of Salt Lake which is why we flew out of Vegas. They do fly out of the smaller Ogden and Provo airports but only to Mesa. So if you like to go to Mesa check it out they sometimes have rates as low as around $40. each way.
I booked our airfare back in January. Allegiant emails me their special rates and I haven't seen the $118. rate since, but they have been running a $150. rate each way and that's really great too. The way they keep their rates low is that they charge fees for EVERYTHING from choosing your seat to paying for your drinks and snacks on the plane. They charge for carry on luggage as well as regular checked luggage so we only checked one suitcase. You can take a purse or backpack for free so we took backpacks and packed them full. We ended up paying about $560. total which included both our airfare. Well, actually, we paid nothing because we had enough sky miles to cover it :)
The condo we stayed in was on the 5th floor and right on the beach. We only paid $89. a night.
It is big enough to sleep 4 people.
It also had a washer and dryer and all the beach stuff you would want--chairs, a cooler, snorkel gear, beach toys for the kids.
If you want more details on the condo email me and I can get you more info.
Next up...our day at the Polynesian Cultural Center

