A Special Day and Blessings


Today was a special day in several ways.  It started out with church.  After almost 20 years of sitting next to the husband in Sacrament Meeting he left my side to join a new bishopric on the stand.  He's the 2nd Counselor and will be working with a great Bishop and 1st Counselor.  The husband is a pretty quiet man (at least that's what people outside our family think).  Most people in our ward don't know him very well so I'm excited for them to learn a little more about him through this calling.  He has a big heart, a great love for his Heavenly Father and Savior, he's a great teacher, and he's pretty funny too!
Kloe and Gracie didn't seem too disappointed to find out their Dad wouldn't be sitting with us anymore.  Both of them asked if they could take Dad's spot and sit by me on the bench.  (the little ones get annoyed we won't let them sit between us :) I told them sure, if I'm there, I will probably end up in the hall most of the time with Lilly.  She threw a fit when she couldn't go sit on the stand with her Daddy.
Anyway, the husband is grateful for the opportunity to serve our great ward and the wife is grateful he could get a couple of new suits (he looks way hot in a suit and tie :).  The wife is also grateful the husband follows




Tonight we had a special dinner.
We called it Jackson's Last Supper.
He leaves Saturday for college.  Even though he'll be home to visit, our family dynamics will never be quite the same from here out.  It's exciting and sad for me.  I love the quote, Beginnings are hard, endings are sad, it's the middle that counts.  It applies pretty well to my oldest boy.  Being a new mom to Jackson was hard for me--it took a few months for me to get in the swing of motherhood.  It's sad to let him go.  I'll always be his mom but he's leaving the nest and things will be a little different.  The middle has been amazing.  I had no idea on February 21st, 1994 that this new addition to our family would bless my life so much!
Anyway, Jax got to choose the entire menu tonight:
Roast Beef
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Peas (actually he didn't choose those)
Frog Eye Salad
Rolls with the "stuff" on top
and for dessert:
Brownies with Ice Cream & Hot Fudge


After dinner we had a special family night.  It's tradition for Dad to give all the kids Father's Blessings.  Kevin talks to each one of them about their concerns with the new school year and gives them a blessing of comfort, encouragement and love.  I have been uneasy about Jackson going away to school and all the new things he'll be faced with.  Kevin's blessing for Jackson brought me a lot of comfort.  I always take notes for each of the kids and they tuck them into their journals or scriptures so they can refer to them through out the year. 
To learn more about Father's Blessings go




Here's Janie ready for her turn.  She won't be starting school yet but the little ones who are old enough to understand what's going on are given a blessing too.



Popular Posts