Scary Things



Easter 1999



Kev had a little accident last month.
He was on the roof fixing the swamp cooler.  As he was getting down, he fell on a six foot pole that was sticking out of the ground.  He usually jumps from the house to the garage, then onto the fence and braces himself with the pole as he jumps down from the fence.  But this time the sun was casting shadows just right, and he didn't see the pole.
He blacked out at first.  Then he came to and got himself into the house.  He was holding his neck when he passed me in the kitchen and said, "Beck, help me, I'm hurt."  I followed him into the bathroom where he'd laid down on the floor.  I immediately saw a big gash in his leg.  It was about four inches wide and pretty deep.  I grabbed a wet washcloth and put it on his leg.  It startled him, he didn't know his leg was hurt.  Then he showed me his neck.  It was far worse than his leg.  He had a horizontal cut about five inches wide and 3/4 inch deep.  It was the most awful thing I'd ever seen.  Kev asked me if he needed stitches.  I told him, "OH YES", and asked if he could make it to the truck.  He thought he could so I put Dakota in his car seat (Jax and Em were with Mama Linda and Papa Dave).  When I came back in he said, "Beck, I'm losing it."  He thought he was going to pass out, so I called 911.  I didn't know how bad he was bleeding and of course I couldn't carry him.
I start talking to the dispatcher, who was concerned Kevin may have broken something in his neck and told me to keep him still.  In the mean time Kevin has put his feet up and is feeling better.  When he found out an ambulance was coming, he got mad and walked out to the truck.  Just then Dave and Linda drove up to drop off Jax and Em.  The kids get out of the car and Kevin gets in and tells them to take him to the hospital.
I cancelled the ambulance and realized I should have asked Aunt Tam to stay with the kids so I could go to the hospital with them.  I wasn't thinking straight, at all.
Eventually Tricia came to stay with the kids (thank goodness she was in town) and I went to the hospital.
Kev had 10 stitches in his leg and around 30 in his neck.
The Dr who stitched him up kept shaking his head and said, "I can't believe how lucky you are, I am stitching around all of these major arteries and areas where, had they been cut, it would've been fatal".
Kevin had to go back to the ER three times for follow-up visits.  Every time we'd see a different doctor, but they'd say the same thing; tell him how lucky he was to be alive and how someone was watching out for him. 
He was protected for sure.



Me with my Aunt Judy and Grandma Moon in Clarkston, Utah after my cousin Chris's mission farewell.  Judy and I are only nine years apart and have always been close.
And isn't my Grandma Moon beautiful?!
I love her so much.



One of our favorite things this Summer has been going to Drive-Inn movies.
Kevin throws the hide-a-bed in the truck and we all snuggle up with our pillows, blankets and junk food.





We had another scary thing happen in June.
We were swimming in Uncle Bobby's pool.  Kev and I were in the pool talking, when Kevin looks over and sees that Jackson was no longer in his tube and had gone under water.  We had no idea how long he'd been under.  When Kev pulled him out his eyes were wide and he wasn't making any noise.  Kevin pounded him on the back and he finally threw up some water and a little blood.  Jax just layed on his dad's shoulder and at one point mumbled, "I almost died".  Such a sweet boy.  He was pretty out of it for the next couple of hours.  It really scared all of us.  It's frustrating to try so hard to protect your kids and then have something like this happen.



Lets talk about Miss Emmy for a minute.
She has this thing where she thinks it's SO funny to lock me out.
She usually locks the door, then opens it pretty quick and laughs.
The other day she locked me and Jackson out.
But, instead of opening it, she got side-tracked and went downstairs to watch Barney.
I pounded and pounded on the door.
Nothing.
Jackson wasn't concerned.  He just kept playing basketball.
I kept pounding.
Finally he says, "Mom, just leave her alone, she needs some space."
I often tell him the same thing, "Jax, leave your sister alone, she needs her space."  I guess he listens to me.
I told Jax his sister was going to get spanked when she did open the door.
He looks at me and says, "But Mom, you don't spank us."
He got me there.
After about 10 or 15 minutes of pounding Papa Tom showed up.  Thank goodness!  He took out the window in the door and unlocked it.
Em had completely zoned out watching Barney.
She didn't get spanked, but she did get a talking to and spent some time in her room.
I don't think she'll lock us out again.



We have had lots of fun cousin time with the Braunersrither's in town!



We've had our eye on this house.
It's right across the street from my Aunt Jill and Uncle Craig.
It went up for sale and we entertained the idea of buying it.
But, working in Salt Lake and living in St. George wasn't really an option :(




Popular Posts