Dakota Reed Beck

I was scheduled to be induced November 16th, but I came down with a cold and didn't feel well at all so I asked if we could push it back a few days.
The hospital rescheduled us for November 20th at noon.



Here's a little play-by-play of how it went.
11:30am Dropped off the kids to Natalie.  She was the only person who knew we were getting induced, in case they couldn't work us in.
12:00 Arrived at the hospital, it was so busy they almost sent us home, and then at 2pm a room opened up.
3:30pm They gave me a pill to put under my tongue and the contractions started.
4:15pm Called Mama Jan to tell her we were having a baby.  She thanked us for not telling her any sooner because work would have dragged by.
5:15pm Uncle Bobby shows up with Pizza, Kevin is a happy man.
5:30pm Mama Jan arrives.
7pm Dr Macy shows up.  I'm dilated to a 5 or 6 so she breaks my water.
(Let me say here, I decided to have this baby natural, such a great idea.)
7:45pm I decide to get up and do some more laps.  The walking made the contractions much worse and I had to really concentrate to get through them.  I may or may not have been a little snappy with Kevin.  But he stuck around anyway and pushed on my lower back during the contractions and that really helped.
8:10 It got to where I couldn't walk because of the pressure, so we went back to the room. I thought I had to go to the bathroom. "No honey, that's the baby", Dr Macy tells me.  She had me lay on my side and by then I was in so much pain I had lost all control, which was upsetting, since I like to be in control.  I made noises I didn't even know I could make.
8:18pm Dakota Reed Beck was born.





Up until the day he was born, I'd never heard of a girl named Dakota.
But two nurses were real excited to tell me they knew of babies named Dakota, but they were girls.
Oh well.
We loved Dakota for a boy.  Kevin knew a cute little guy on his mission named Dakota and that was the first we'd heard of it.
His middle name, Reed, was Kevin's grandfather's first name, Reed Atwood Beck.



I definitely felt better than I did with Jax and Em after delivering Dakota with no pain meds, but the five minutes of feeling like a freight train was coming out of my body was really traumatizing.
It was traumatizing for Kev and my mom too.
Both said if I ever do that again, they won't be there to see it.




Emmy kept telling us she wanted a sister, but she couldn't keep her hands off him.










Jackson was excited to have a brother to play Starcraft with.





Love Dr Macy.
Except I'm not sure she can be trusted.
When I talked to her about having Dakota natural she said, "You can do anything for 24 hours."
I could barely do it for an hour.
I probably should have taken a class or something.




Dakota had lots of adoring fans come to meet him!









We are settling in as a family of five, and life is right back to "normal".
Last night Jackson threw up at about 4am.  He left a trail from his room in the basement, all the way up the stairs.  Kev was taking care of Dakota, so I was on throw up duty.  I pretty much lost it.  I sat on Jackson's bed and cried and cried, then I went and sat in the family room and cried some more.  It was all more than I could handle.
Jax and Em love their brother, but Em tells everyone who comes to the house,
"Next time I gonna get a Sista".
I can't even think about a 4th right now.

Popular Posts