What a Weekend!

Thursday night Em mentioned bagels sounded good, so her Dad picked her up some birthday bagels bright and early Friday morning.


Em wishes we'd started the birthday bagel tradition sooner.
It began after she went away to college.


Kev surprised her with a birthday video filled with friends and family wishing Emmy all the love on her birthday!
She loved it.
And laughed and laughed at all her very funny friends and family.


Kev and I tag teamed.
He spent a few hours with her in the morning. 
I spent time with her in the afternoon.
When I left they were in good hands with a birthday dinner, courtesy of the Cheesecake Factory :)


We checked in with Emmy Saturday morning and all was well so Kevin and I went on a thanks for being the father of my children date to Taggarts.
Love long drives and country lovin' music.


We stopped at the hospital on our way home to deliver some post birthday carrot cake.
I stayed with Em for several more hours while Garren ran home to get some things done.
(One of those things was to open his Father's Day gift from Emmy--a little putting green to add to his man cave in the basement.  He was pretty excited about it!)
When I arrived Em was doing great, but a headache started in pretty quick and kept getting worse.  She spent the rest of the afternoon throwing up.  Poor thing!  This was the second time she'd had a headache and throw up day at the hospital.
When Garren got back around dinner time I went home.  I thought she was doing a little better but things went down hill from there.
Her symptoms worsened and at one point we thought they'd deliver baby girl that night.
They got her stabilized with meds and she had a good nights sleep.
Yesterday morning she face timed us before church and she was doing so much better.
I sent my team Sunday school teacher a text saying I'll be there to teach.
I start sending out texts to the family, telling them Em and baby were doing well.
Then I get a message from Garren saying her water broke.
You all know what that means right?
BABY IS COMING!!


I changed my clothes, grabbed my bag, picked up Kevin at the church and headed to the hospital.
Garren and Kevin gave her a quick blessing and then the anesthesiologist walks in.
She was only dilated to a 1/2 centimeter so I knew that was a precaution for a c-section.
Words like severe, urgent, emergency, and elevated are all words I don't like hearing in a hospital.
Let me clarify here, our girl actually had severe preeclampsia and her placenta had started to abrupt.


Watching her get that epidural brought back all the memories.
The anesthesiologist looked like he was in his 70's, which I was thrilled about; lots of experience :)


Not long after she got the epidural the baby was struggling.  


Within a few minutes they used the word C-section and urgent.
They told Garren to put on the scrubs.
Poor guy was shaking so I helped him get the booties over his shoes.
Dad told her she was going to do great and everything would be okay.
 Then we heard the words emergency, and let's go.


And out they went.


Kevin and I were left alone in the room, not really knowing what to do with ourselves.
I sent out an update to the family.
We prayed.
Kevin assured me everything would be fine.


About 30 minutes later a nurse came to tell us baby was out and in the NICU.  
Mom and baby did great!  
They got that baby out three minutes after Emmy arrived in the OR.
Poor Garren was pretty stressed out (let me say here that Emmy was calm and cool the entire day, with all the crazy going on she just rolled with it) until the Dr commented on Emmy's incredibly strong ab's, lol! That lightened the mood and Garren felt much better.


Within an hour Em was back in the room with us.
She was such a rockstar!


Garren came in a little later after being in the NICU and was just beaming over his little girl.




At about 5:30pm Emmy finally got to see her baby!
These two are the cutest parents.



Meet sweet little Maisie Jane
3 pounds 11 ounces
16 3/4 long
She's doing awesome.
So grateful for modern medicine, keeping our girls safe.


Because of covid restrictions we won't get to meet her until she's released from the hospital in a month or two.


Of course Maisie Jane is Garren's favorite father's day gift, but I think this shirt runs a close second.