Blessed With the Best

The last couple of weeks have been rough for our family.
We found out last Tuesday my Dad--our Papa Tom has Stage 4 Prostate Cancer.


This is my cute Mom after a day spent with two different Oncologists and finding out the cancer was far more advanced than they had first been told by my Dad's primary care physician.
My mom is almost never cold but in the picture she was freezing so she covered herself with the restaurant napkins.  She tried to put on a good front but I knew she and my Dad were pretty shaken.


Papa Tom waiting to see the second Oncologist of the day.
I guess the puzzle was a nice attempt at a distraction.
I am blessed with the best of the best when it comes to parents.  I was grateful to be able to go with them to these Dr appointments to offer some measure of support.  Despite the sad news I felt thankful to have my Dad placed in the hands of two very knowledgeable and capable physicians.  They will work together to help my Dad and treat this cancer aggressively. 
I was grateful we could have the messages of General Conference so soon after receiving this news.  I was reminded of prophetic counsel like, "Come what may and love it", "God didn't design us to be sad, He created us to have joy", and "Hold on thy way is a key choice during times of trial.  Turn one's heart to God, especially when we face trials.  Humbly obey the commandments of God.  Show faith to reconcile one's wishes with the will of God..." just to name a few.
Our Papa Tom isn't alone.  The Lord is with him, his family of 13 children and their spouses and 35 grandchildren are here to support him, along with so many other friends and family.

Popular Posts