Spinning Salad and Rocking Babies


Just makin' meatballs.
So gross.
But so delicious.




This one's obsessed with the salad spinner.  She hears it spinning she comes running.  She wanted to spin the salad in her room and when I told her no she chucked the bowl and lettuce on the floor.  After a brief time-out she agree to spinning it on the counter...



You just never know when a tender mercy will come.  For me, it usually comes quietly and unexpectedly.  Tonight as I was leaving Estabon's basketball game I looked up and there was Darren.  At first I didn't recognize him as Darren, but I did know I knew him.  He said hello and as my mind scrambled it all came back to me.  Darren from McDougal Mortuary who took care of our Baby Kevin. I didn't recognize him without the dark suit. He picked Baby Kevin up from the University Hospital where he was born and took care of his body.  Darren's son was on the opposing team that had just played Estabon's team and I didn't even know it. 


He came over and gave me a hug and said 
"I need to tell you the rocking chair you donated has gotten a lot of use, thank you so much".  
I still get sad when I think about not being able to rock my baby.  Why didn't I make that happen?  I wish I'd said something.  Kevin would have for sure made it happen if only I'd said something.


It makes me so happy that other Mamas are able to hold and rock their babies. Even if this small gesture brings just a moment of comfort to a grieving parent, grandparent, sibling, or friend, I am grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts