Missionary Monday - Good Morning!


Surprise! Just thought I'd start all your days off well. We woke up early to do laundry before the temple and so here I am. I'm all about efficiency, but my body is starting to murmur because the only times I wake up this early are to go fishing or hunting and my body is realizing that is not happening.

So let's see... Michigan of course! I leave Wednesday at 7:15. Its a 3 and a half hour flight to Detroit and then another 45 minutes to Lansing. I can call for 5 minutes at the airport so be ready at around 7 or 10:15ish. I know a fair amount about the sports teams in Michigan, but very little about anything else. I'm pretty sure the fishing is good, but I don't know if that is a great lakes thing or if it's good anywhere. The area is all of Michigan except Detroit and Ann Arbor, so I could be almost anywhere in the state. If you wanted to do some research for me about the area, that would be okay. As for the rest of my district, 3 of us are going to Michigan, 7 of them are going to Des Moines Iowa, 2 to Indianapolis, and then 2 to New Mexico.

I write things down throughout the week that I want to share, but they are pretty random, so here you go. I obtained earplugs to sleep with when the others snore, but also to study with. I'm sure you are all aware I wasn't too big on reading before I came out. But that has changed! I love the scriptures and Jesus the Christ, but I can't get anything out of it if I can't focus, and to focus I need it to be quiet. I don't know if you ever wonder how I sleep at night, but I sleep like a baby. Through some secret combinations I obtained a second pillow to put between my legs and I make the most out of those 8 hours. And then a nap every P-Day as well.

I have developed this weird obsession with maple bars. Ya know, the dough nut? But they only have them every once and a while here. I've been seeing all the punks from the District shows around lately. And they created two new missions in Sao Paulo. SP West and Santos. They both border Interlagos so I guess I could get put into one of them. The West mission actually took the whole western half of Interlagos so I think I would get put into that one if I did. Seeing as to that I've never been to Sao Paulo, I don't know which mission I should be hoping to get into. Not that it matters anyway.

So they don't tell us who will be speaking at the devotionals and on Tuesday Richard G Scott came. Unfortunately, I was in the habit of automatically going to the overflow to avoid the madness in the gym. Its embarrassing the way missionaries act to get a seat in there. Particularly Sisters... Speaking of Sisters, Every single person that has spoken since I've been here starts off by kissing the Sisters butts for coming to serve. I know Sisters are high maintenance and need tons of reassuring, but I would applaud the ones who served before the age change.  Anyways, he spoke about prayer and personal revelation as well. It was really good, but after the closing song he stood back up and said, "I'm feeling prompted to invoke an apostolic blessing on you all. For those of you learning a language, you will have the power to master that language. And I want all of you to know that the Lord did not call you to fail. He called you to succeed." You know how he usually talks slow and makes you sleepy? When he stood back up I've never heard him speak so forcefully. Oh, tambem ele fala portugues. (Also, he speaks Portuguese)

I have to give a shout out to Grandma Linda and Stevie for the pen they sent. Its awesome. And very classy I might add. People take me more seriously when I whip that thing out.

Dad - I think Kahuku High is the school Tavita went to, but I'm not sure.

Megan - I did not get your first letter, sorry.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'll call sometime today and I'll send another email about that. Also one of you will be receiving a personal letter because of your diligence in writing me. Hint: name starts with "D" and ends with "avid". So I'm about to write that.

Thanks for everything.

Elder Beck


Pic #1 - Just chillin in one of the Polynesians lava lavas.




Pic #2 - I have learned that the perfect scripture on the spot is priceless and I'm pretty proud of this system here. It has already worked beautifully. However, these are my Portuguese scriptures and I am still useless at finding scriptures in English. I'm still debating whether or not to set up the tab system in my old English scrips for Michigan.




Pic #3 - I'm really struggling for material here. Hopefully there will be tons of pictures to be had in Lansing. Anyways, this kid is a genius, we call him Elder Google. But he memorizes things by speaking into the wall.



Jackson did call Friday night!  The missionaries get to call to tell their families about their reassignments.  He only had 5 minutes but it was good to hear his voice and he sounded so great!  I am working on getting him some bacon maple bars before he leaves on Wednesday.  I have never tried one but I've heard they are fantastic.  I have to think Jax will love them given his new found love of maple bars and his long time love affair with bacon :)  Also, as soon as I have his Michigan address I'll post it.



Popular Posts